Recipe by KennKonn
I have been making this at Christmas for a couple of years now. I don't remember where I found the recipe but I definitely give credit to whose ever it was originally. I gave it to a friend and she made it, entered it in a candy contest and won first prize. It is a great alternative for someone with a peanut allergy.
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup white syrup
- 2 cups unsalted sunflower seeds, raw
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter and add vanilla.
- Set aside.
- Bring one half cup of water to a boil and add the sugar and syrup.
- Stir until dissolved.
- Place candy thermometer in pan with bulb about 1/4 inch off bottom.
- Boil the mixture until the temperature reads 240 degrees F.
- Add the sunflower kernels and cook on moderately high heat until your thermometer reads 295 degrees F. This will take several minutes to reach, do not rush it or it will not harden.
- Remove from heat and add the butter/vanilla mixture and the baking soda.
- Stir quickly and thoroughly.
- Spread onto large cookie sheet, well buttered.
- Let cool completely then break into pieces.