I have been making this at Christmas for a couple of years now. I don't remember where I found the recipe but I definitely give credit to whose ever it was originally. I gave it to a friend and she made it, entered it in a candy contest and won first prize. It is a great alternative for someone with a peanut allergy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt the butter and add vanilla.
- 2Set aside.
- 3Bring one half cup of water to a boil and add the sugar and syrup.
- 4Stir until dissolved.
- 5Place candy thermometer in pan with bulb about 1/4 inch off bottom.
- 6Boil the mixture until the temperature reads 240 degrees F.
- 7Add the sunflower kernels and cook on moderately high heat until your thermometer reads 295 degrees F. This will take several minutes to reach, do not rush it or it will not harden.
- 8Remove from heat and add the butter/vanilla mixture and the baking soda.
- 9Stir quickly and thoroughly.
- 10Spread onto large cookie sheet, well buttered.
- 11Let cool completely then break into pieces.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for First Prize Sunflower Brittle
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.1
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 140.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 21.6 g
- Protein 2.9 g