Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Amongst our friends, food is a serious subject, and can be very competitive. We had two food cook-offs and this recipe came in first in the meat division both times. I got this recipe from a wonderful cookbook, the Low Fat Grill, by Donna Rodnitzky. I often half the recipe for smaller portions of lamb.
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons Grey Poupon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (or more)
- 1 teaspoon peppercorn, crushed
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 4 large garlic, crushed
- 3 lbs leg of lamb, butterflied
- Make sure that the lamb is uniform in size. If not, cut the portion open like a book and the meat will cook more evenly.
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and the lamb in a zip lock bag. Marinade 1 - 3 days.
- Grill 30 - 50 minutes, or until meat thermometer regtisters 150° for medium rare, turning the lamb every 8 minutes. Remove from grill and allow to sit 5 minutes before carving.
- The original recipe calls for Grey Poupon Peppercorn mustard. I cannot get this type of mustard, so I use regular Dijon and add more peppercorn. You can use a liberal amount of rosemary and peppercorn, depending on preference.
- For easy preparation, I chop the rosemary, peppercorns, coarse salt and garlic in my mini food processor.