Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a sinfully sweet and rich cake! It's a little time-consuming, but so worth it. Prep time is an estimate.
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup salad oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce, heated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, spices and cocoa.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil and sugar.
- Beat until well blended.
- Stir in hot applesauce and blend thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients, blending well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Turn batter into well greased and floured 9" x 13" pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; then reduce temperature to 375 degrees and bake about 15 minutes longer.
- Cool completely.
- Caramel Frosting:
- Melt 1/2 c butter in sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir in 1 c brown sugar, firmly packed, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil hard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 c milk.
- Return pan to heat and bring to a full boil.
- Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 2 c confectioner's sugar, and beat until smooth.
- If frosting is too thick, beat in a little milk.