Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a sinfully sweet and rich cake! It's a little time-consuming, but so worth it. Prep time is an estimate.
- 4 cups sifted flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup salad oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups unsweetened applesauce, heated
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, spices and cocoa.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oil and sugar.
- Beat until well blended.
- Stir in hot applesauce and blend thoroughly.
- Add dry ingredients, blending well.
- Stir in nuts.
- Turn batter into well greased and floured 9" x 13" pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes; then reduce temperature to 375 degrees and bake about 15 minutes longer.
- Cool completely.
- Caramel Frosting:
- Melt 1/2 c butter in sauce pan over low heat.
- Stir in 1 c brown sugar, firmly packed, and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil hard for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in 1/4 c milk.
- Return pan to heat and bring to a full boil.
- Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm.
- Stir in 2 c confectioner's sugar, and beat until smooth.
- If frosting is too thick, beat in a little milk.
I have made this recipe again. I originally reviewed this on Jul 26, 2003 and gave this 3 stars because at that time there were formating errors that caused some confusing and affected the outcome the first time I made this. Since then, the recipe has been corrected and I was able to make this the 2nd time with no problems whatsoever. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! This cake was very moist and heavenly.... from the tiny slice I was able to have of it..... because it was totally consumed by the family I stay with - INCLUDING THE CRUMBS! There was NOTHING left when I went back for a 2nd piece! They loved it (which is an important factor when I give a 5 star review). Oh, well! I guess I'm just going to have to make this a 3rd time when no one is home so I can enjoy this ALL TO MYSELF! Thanks for making the corrections Whisper. And Thank you for sharing a fantastic recipe! This is something that I will be maing again, and again.
Whisper, this was a delicious and pretty cake -- and in reality, pretty easy to make. I love the contrast of the not-too-sweet spice cake with the delightfully rich caramel frosting. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!!!
I didn't have a bit of trouble with this recipe...It came out delicious!! And, because I had your permission, I put creamcheese frosting on top...All I can say is "WOW!!! I did omit the chopped nuts...other than that, I followed your easy directions, and came out with a 5* winner!! Thanks so much for sharing, Whisper...This is a great cake! Laudee