Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe won first place in 1978 at the county fair. I make it over the holidays and everyone raves about it. There are some similar recipes on Recipe Zaar, but this recipe is different enough in my opinion to make it slightly better. You can use fresh or frozen broccoli, although the recipe calls for 2 packages, frozen chopped broccoli.
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (10 ounce) can celery soup
- 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- frozen chopped broccoli, cooked and drained (I use around 6 cups)
- 1 stack Ritz cracker
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Mix all above ingredients together, except butter and crackers.
- Put into 2-quart casserole.
- Melt butter in pan and saute stack of crumpled Ritz crackers.
- Spread over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
I made this last night using fresh, steamed broccoli. I increased the onion to 2 tablespoons, used 1/4 cup light mayonnaise & 3/4 cup regular mayonnaise & added some pepper. This was a firm, not runny dish. It was baked in a 9" X 9" Pyrex dish & I would say it makes 6 to 8 servings for a regular meal. It would yield 12 servings at a holiday meal with lots of other food. Good dish, good flavor. Rita, thanks for sharing. Ann