Recipe by kennedyfish
This is a bright pink / fuschia jelly made from fireweed blossoms. Fireweed is a bright pink wildflower native to Alaska. I've made this several years and it always turns out. I've used powdered pectin and liquid pectin with positive results. Taken from totallyalaska.com - I wanted to store this where I won't lose it!
- 8 cups fireweed blossoms (no stems or leaves)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 1⁄2 ounces powdered fruit pectin
- 5 cups sugar
- 5 -6 one-pint jelly jars
Directions See How It's Made
- Pick, wash and measure 8 cups of fireweed blossoms (flower part only). Put into large saucepan.
- Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and 4 1/2 cups water.
- Boil 10-12 minutes and strain into a bowl. KEEP THE JUICE, and throw the cooked blossoms away.
- Strain the juice through cheesecloth two more times for clarity of jelly.
- Take strained juice and heat to lukewarm. Add 2 packages Sure Jell or other pectin and bring to boil.
- Add 5 cups sugar and bring to FULL boil. Boil hard for 5 minutes.
- Pour into hot, clean jars and seal.
- Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.