Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Anybody who has been to Alaska has probably seen the fields full of beautiful fireweed. You can make jelly from the blossoms. I found this recipe online.
- Gather fireweed blossoms, then wash and measure out the 8 packed cups of cleaned ones.
- In a large pot, combine the blossoms, lemon juice, butter, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour through a sieve then return liquid to pot and heat through to medium low. Discard contents of sieve.
- Add packages of pectin, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, stir well, and bring to a full boil. Let boil fully for 1 minute, then turn off heat.
- Stir until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Pour into sterilized jelly jars, leaving 1/4- inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes 10 to 12 jars fireweed jelly.