Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Anybody who has been to Alaska has probably seen the fields full of beautiful fireweed. You can make jelly from the blossoms. I found this recipe online.
- Gather fireweed blossoms, then wash and measure out the 8 packed cups of cleaned ones.
- In a large pot, combine the blossoms, lemon juice, butter, and water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour through a sieve then return liquid to pot and heat through to medium low. Discard contents of sieve.
- Add packages of pectin, stir, and bring to a boil.
- Add the sugar, stir well, and bring to a full boil. Let boil fully for 1 minute, then turn off heat.
- Stir until sugar is fully dissolved.
- Pour into sterilized jelly jars, leaving 1/4- inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- Makes 10 to 12 jars fireweed jelly.