Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
An old family favorite that got its name from the cold and wintry nights we huddled around the fireplace with this delicious and tangy cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large orange
- 1⁄4 cup blanched almond
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dates
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 X 2 inch springform pan.
- Sift together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the extracts to the milk and stir into the batter alternating with the flour mixture.
- Halve the orange and squeeze, reserving about 1/2 cup of the juice.
- In a food processor, grind the orange rind shells with the almonds, raisins and dates for about 45 seconds.
- Stir this into the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until tests done.
- In a small saucepan, heat reserved orange juice, sugar and brandy until sugar dissolves.
- While cake is still hot, prick in several places with a toothpick and spoon the sauce all over it.
- After about 20 minutes, remove from springform pan and serve.