Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) package beef stew meat
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) package Del Monte® Recipe Ready Mirepoix Soup Starter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) canfire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup brewed decaffeinated coffee
- In a large, heavy ovenproof saucepot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the mirepoix. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 8 minutes.
- Add the smoked paprika and sugar and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes and coffee. Bring to a boil, then cover, and reduce the heat to simmer until the meat is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Tip: For freezing and reheating, completely cool the stew. Divide into individual portions in airtight containers and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Run the closed containers under hot water to release the block of stew from the container. Cover with a damp paper towel in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until hot, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.