Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is an excellent chili recipe. My husband is a chili lover and requests this about once a week in the Winter. It's a little on the hot/spicy side but you can adjust the amount of seasonings if you want it milder. I like to serve this with cornbread muffins and/or crackers. (Estimated prep time. Although it calls for cooking the chili 2 hours you can cook it on low for several hours).
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (for the diet concious you can also use ground turkey)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 fresh garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 (8 ounce) cans Ro-Tel tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (16 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans, undrained
- 5 1⁄2 ounces tomato juice
- Heat oil in a large pot. Brown together ground beef, onion and garlic; drain well.
- Add all the spices along with the Ro-tel tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans and tomato juice. Mix well and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 1/2 hour uncovered and 1-1/2 hours covered. (If too thick you can add additional tomato juice or water).
This is a great recipe. It was extremely easy to make. Both of my picky eaters ate it. My husband liked it so much he told me that I need to use this recipe from now on when making chili.
I made this chili and entered it in the chili contest on my job and won first place. It was really easy to put together. I actually made to batches. I liked them both but on the second one I used a portion of the salt to season the beef as it was cooking. This made a difference in the final taste.
This is my new go-to chili. It's so easy and delicious... really hits the spot. I substituted 2 cans of crushed tomatoes for the tomato juice and sauce, and it was perfect. Thanks for sharing!!