Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
Another fire station favourite. Leftovers can be reheated almost infinitely!
Make and share this Firehouse Beef Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3⁄4-1 lb rutabaga, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 -4 cloves garlic, minced
- serrano pepper, minced,to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs ground round or 1 1⁄4-1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- parsley or paprika or snipped chives (to garnish)
- Boil potatoes and swedes until almost done – note that swedes often require a few more minutes cooking time than potatoes.
- Drain and transfer to large mixing bowl.
- Add butter and milk.
- Mash, then beat with electric mixer until creamy.
- Set aside.
- Sauté onion in hot oil until almost tender.
- Add garlic and serrano and sauté one minute more.
- Mix in flour.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and black pepper.
- Add the meat and mix thoroughly.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Meat should be brown and moist but not wet.
- Drain excess liquid, if necessary.
- Spoon meat into a 2-quart casserole.
- Cover evenly with mashed potatoes.
- Bake at 350° 50 minutes or until edges bubble and a crust forms on the potatoes.
- Garnish and serve.
Just made this for supper tonight, very good Miller, had no peppers around so I used cayenne pepper instead of black and I added 1 cup of peas and carrots. Very much the same as the one I usually make except for the rutabegas with the potatoes, which was a nice change. I cut the recipe in half, for the two of us and still had leftovers. Thanks for sharing a good one, we will use it again often!