A summer dessert suitable for the 4th of July! Found this one in my cooking club magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 158.51 ml butter, chilled,cut into pieces
- 236.59 ml blueberries
- 236.59 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 19.71 ml grated lemons, rind of
- 1Heat oven to 450°F.
- 2Grease 2 (9-inch) round cake pans.
- 3In large bowl, combine flour, 2/3 cup sugar and baking powder; mix well.
- 4With pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 5Add blueberries.
- 6In small bowl, combine milk, eggs and lemon peel; blend well.
- 7Add to flour mixture; stir just until mixture is moistened.
- 8Spread dough evenly in pans.
- 9Bake 14 to 17 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 10Cool pans on wire racks 10 minutes; invert cakes onto wire racks.
- 11Meanwhile, in large bowl, toss strawberries, raspberries and 1/4 cup sugar until well mixed.
- 12Beat whipping cream with 1 Tbs sugar until soft peaks form.
- 13To assemble shortcake, place one warm cake layer flat side up on serving plate.
- 14Top with half of berry mixture.
- 15Place second cake layer flat side down on top of first layer.
- 16Top with remaining berry mixture.
- 17Cut into wedges.
- 18Serve with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Firecracker Shortcake
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.1
- Calories from Fat 267
- Total Fat 29.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.8 g
- Cholesterol 132.4 mg
- Sodium 318.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 31.5 g
- Protein 9.1 g