Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Super fast week night meal. From Rachel Ray. I had to do a couple things differently than the way Rachel calls for them to be made. I found the corn tortillas to tear when folded unless heated through first - either in the microwave or in a hot pan just coated with oil. Would let sit in heated oven more like 10-15 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (2 lb) rotisserie-cooked chicken, meat shredded
- 1 lb muenster cheese, grated
- 3 chipotle chiles in adobo, seeded and finely chopped
- 12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add two thirds of the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in 1 1/2 cups water and the tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin and salt; bring to boil. Simmer 5 minutes; set aside.
- Preheat the broiler. In a large bowl, mix the chicken, two thirds of the cheese and the chiles.
- Spread 1 cup of the enchilada sauce in a large casserole dish. Dip one tortilla in the remaining sauce to coat both sides and transfer to a plate. Fill with chicken mixture, roll up and transfer to the casserole dish, seam side down. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and filling.
- Top with the remaining onion, sauce and cheese; broil until just golden, about 5 minutes. Turn off the broiler and leave in the oven until heated through, about 5 minutes.