Prep 15 mins
Cook 24 hrs
My husband and I just love the chilled, honey vodka that the restaurant Firebird, in NYC, serves. One night while having a drink at Michael Jordan's in Grand Central Station we were talking about it and our bartender said he used to work there and knew the recipe. He wrote this recipe onto a cocktail napkin for us. Since then, 4-5 years ago, we make this every Christmas. I don't think it is exactly the same as Firebird's but it is still really good! Store it in the freezer and serve chilled.
- 4 ounces honey
- 2 teaspoons nutmeg, freshly grated
- 5 vanilla beans, scraped
- 3 cloves
- 1 bunch of fresh mint
- 6 peppercorns, whole
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 2 oranges, zest of
- 2 liters vodka (the better the vodka, the better the taste)
- Scrape the vanilla beans.
- Zest the lemons and oranges.
- Then stir all the ingredients, except Vodka, into a small saucepan and bring to a low boil.
- Turn down the heat to a very, very low simmer.
- Let it simmer, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Do not let it boil or it will become a hard lump.
- Remove from the heat and let sit overnight.
- The next day strain the solids and add the honeyed liquid to the vodka and chill.
I am giving this no stars because, while I know it will be awesome, right now I think there is an error in the ingredient amounts.