Recipe by Debbwl
Home made Roasted Vegetable Stock (Highly recommend) and canned Fire Roasted Tomatoes come together to make a roasted tomato soup that is full of flavor. For an Italian flavor use basil and for a South West flavor us Cilantro. Prep time does not include time to make Roasted Vegetable Stock as I had some in the freezer.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
EXCELLENT soup. I simmered mine on low for about an hour to let the flavors mend prior to letting it cool and putting it in the blender. I didn't have fresh herbs, so I used about 2 T of dried Italian Herbs and it is absolutely perfect. This is restaurant quality soup, my dear! I used roast veggie broth that I bought at the grocery store. THANKS for sharing! UPDATE: I made this again yesterday and used expensive Muir Glen crushed fire-roasted tomatoes, subbed the whipped cream for about 1/4 cup of vegan sour cream (worked perfectly) and then thew it in the blender. Hubby thought it was too pureed, so I added in two diced fresh Roma tomatoes and it was outstanding. This definitely made 4 nice sized bowls of soup, so 2 meals for us! We topped it on day two with just a little blue cheese which was a nice touch.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cansfire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups roasted vegetable stock, this is the one we think has the best flavor and adds the most to this soup Roasted Vegetable Stock
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves or 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (more or less depending on taste)
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until onion is crisp-tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, stock, 1 tablespoon of the basil or cilantro, the sugar and pepper flakes. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly, about 15 minutes.
- In blender, place half of the mixture. Cover; blend until pureed. Return to saucepan. Repeat with remaining mixture. Heat over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Stir in cream and remaining 1 tablespoon basil or cilantro.