Prep 30 mins
Cook 11 hrs
America's Test Kitchen; makes enough for 3 lbs cooked pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- red pepper flakes, a pinch
- 1 (28 ounce) canfire-roasted diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) canfire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until shimmering.
- Add onions, garlic, tomato paste, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are softened and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in diced tomatoes and cook until dry and lightly browned, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in wine, scraping up any browned bits, and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and liquid smoke into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until sauce is deeply flavored, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Before serving, stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta.