Recipe by Wing-Man
This homemade salsa is comparable to some of the best I have had at Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants and beats anything you can buy off the shelf. Of course this is one persons opinion. Try it for yourself.
Top Review by 1 tuff cookie
This is amazing. Husband says it is better than any restaurant salsa he has ever had. Followed the recipe as written, seeded the jalapenos. Has a wonderful smokey flavor with a little bit a kick. Will definately make again.
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes or 3 lbs roma tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 large white onion (sliced ringwise)
- 4 green onions (trimmed to 5 inches)
- 6 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- I think Plum and Roma tomatoes are the same thing. We call them "Roma" in Texas.
- Fire up the outdoor grill. If you use propane make a boat out of foil to place dry wood chips into.
- Clean and prepare vegetables for grilling.
- When the grill is hot place wood over coals or gas flame.
- Replace grate.
- Place tomatoes, jalapenos and onions on a hot grill - over hot coals, not high flames.
- Pile cilantro on top, so that it does not touch the grill.
- Place lid on grill.
- Lightly blacken all on both sides. 10 to 15 minutes per side.
- Remove cilantro and jalapeno stems.
- For milder version remove jalapeno seeds.
- Place jalapeno peppers, 1/2 of the chipotles and 1/2 the adobe sauce, tomatoes, onions and cilantro and pulse in a food processor (I use a manual Ultimate Chopper) until just coarsely chopped.
- Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Makes about 4 pounds. I usually keep a pound to eat within a week and separate the remaining into 1 pound units and freeze. Try it warm with chips. I tried this with chicken breast and it was wonderful. Just brown the breast, cover with sauce and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.