1/2 Photos of Fire Roasted Salsa (Más Salsa Por Favor)
This homemade salsa is comparable to some of the best I have had at Mexican/Tex-Mex restaurants and beats anything you can buy off the shelf. Of course this is one persons opinion. Try it for yourself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes or 3 lbs roma tomatoes
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 (7 ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 large white onion (sliced ringwise)
- 4 green onions (trimmed to 5 inches)
- 6 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1I think Plum and Roma tomatoes are the same thing. We call them "Roma" in Texas.
- 2Fire up the outdoor grill. If you use propane make a boat out of foil to place dry wood chips into.
- 3Clean and prepare vegetables for grilling.
- 4When the grill is hot place wood over coals or gas flame.
- 5Replace grate.
- 6Place tomatoes, jalapenos and onions on a hot grill - over hot coals, not high flames.
- 7Pile cilantro on top, so that it does not touch the grill.
- 8Place lid on grill.
- 9Lightly blacken all on both sides. 10 to 15 minutes per side.
- 10Remove cilantro and jalapeno stems.
- 11For milder version remove jalapeno seeds.
- 12Place jalapeno peppers, 1/2 of the chipotles and 1/2 the adobe sauce, tomatoes, onions and cilantro and pulse in a food processor (I use a manual Ultimate Chopper) until just coarsely chopped.
- 13Transfer to a bowl, add remaining ingredients and mix well.
- 14Makes about 4 pounds. I usually keep a pound to eat within a week and separate the remaining into 1 pound units and freeze. Try it warm with chips. I tried this with chicken breast and it was wonderful. Just brown the breast, cover with sauce and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fire Roasted Salsa (Más Salsa Por Favor)
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 30.7
- Calories from Fat 9
- Total Fat 1.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 151.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 1.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo