Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a great salsa that has the heat of habanero and jalapeño peppers but because of the mint and ginger has a coolness to it. Big favorite around my friends.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 habanero peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 bunches fresh mint leaves
- 1 small gingerroot
- 2 sweet red peppers
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups fresh cilantro
- Drain the tomatoes for 15 – 30 minutes. Toss in the salt if you need to shorten the drainage time.
- Finely chop the onions, peppers, garlic and ginger root.
- Finely mince the mint and cilantro.
- In a food processor combine half the tomatoes and the other ingredients and pulse until well mixed but not pureed.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well.
- Let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours.
- For the canned tomatoes use salt free.
- If you're feeling naughty double up on the habanero peppers. If you're really feeling naughty then double up on the jalapeños too.
- For the mint leaves if you're buying them in the packets then use 3.
- For the gingerroot you'll want one about the size of an egg.
- Optional ingredients I found nice were apple cider vinegar, honey, brown sugar or maple syrup. Not all at once but each one adds a unique background to the salsa.