Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found this one on the net by Larry Haftl. Sambal is to Indonesian cuisine what salsa is to Mexican cooking: a fiery hot condiment served at every meal. I have used Habanaro peppers instead of the Indonesian dried chillies and it is 'inferno' hot
- 1 lb habanero pepper (very very hot)
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- You can omit the sugar if you do not like sweet.
- Bring all ingredients to a boil, lower heat and simmer to half the consistency, 20 minutes, stirring to prevent burning at bottom of pan.
- Cool and liquefy the cooled above in blender.
- Serve at room temperature.
I omit the sugar and the result has rave reviews from the guys who like it hot!!! Superb!
Made this for my dad as he can no longer have salt found in commercial sauces. We ommited the salt and added 2 tomatoes. It bought tears to his eyes (literally) it was soo hot, he ensures this means it is top rate. Thanks for the recipe!!