Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A favorite remedy for cold and flu. Effective, easy to make and tasty, though not for the weak of heart. Make a batch before the cold season starts. This recipe is out of Rosemary Gladstar's book "Herbs for the Home Medicine Chest" - A must have book for any herb lover!
- In a glass or stainless steel sauce pan heat vinegar on the stove to where it is warm, but not boiling.
- Fill a clean glass jar with horseradish, onion, garlic, turmeric, and a pinch or two of Cayenne pepper.
- Pour in the warmed vinegar and cap with an acid-proof lid.
- Store in a warm place 3 to 4 weeks; shaking a few times a week.
- Strain mixture and add enough honey to suit your taste.
- Rebottle fire cider and refrigerate.
- At the first sign of a cold take 1 to 2 tablespoons every 2 to 3 hours until your symptoms subside.
mine has finally ready! it is yummy (but i do love spicy sour stuff). I work with kids and I am using this to not get sick, so far so good, but I have only been using it (a little bit each morning on days with kids) for about two weeks. Thanks!
I have been making and using this recipe for as long as I can remember. My Dad taught me how to make this when I was very little. This can be diluted for children with a bit of water and they can take 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. 3 to 4 times a day. What a wonderful post Carla, thank you.