Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This spicy, yet fruity salsa, makes a great change to the regular tomato-based varieties. You can serve it as a side with just about anything, eat it with tortilla chips or add it to your favorite burrito.
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cantaloupe, peeled seeded and diced finely
- 1⁄2 honeydew melon, peeled seeded and diced finely
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely
- 3 jalapenos, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- In a small pan sauté the onion in oil until soft. Lay aside and let cool.
- Combine all the other ingredients and stir in the onions.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours to let the flavors blend together.
It was certainly a unique idea, but the melons were just too bland and too sweet for salsa, and they didn't mix well with the other salsa ingredients. But hey, what is life or cooking without experimentation? Next time, I would only try a small amout of melon and substitute mango and tomato for the rest. I would also use fresh onion, but in smaller quantities. ~ For PAC Spring 2008