Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Wonderful for warm summer days, this salad is cool and refreshing and will be a hit at your picnics. :)
- 4 cups cooked jasmine rice, chilled
- 1 lb cooked small to medium shrimp, peeled, de-tailed, and de-veined
- 2 papayas, peeled and diced
- 1 cup spicy picante sauce, your favorite
- 2 -3 tablespoons honey, to taste
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 butter lettuce leaves
- In a ceramic bowl, combine the cooked rice, shrimp, and papaya.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the picante sauce, honey, pineapple juice, lime juice, ancho, cumin, basil, and olive oil; whisk together well to make the dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the rice mixture and toss well to coat.
- Chill for 1 hour.
- To serve, place butter lettuce leaves decoratively on a platter, place salad on the leaves, and serve.
- Note: the spicy-ness of this salad depends completely on the picante/salsa that you choose, because otherwise it does not contain any particularly spicy ingredients. Ancho chile powder is not very spicy at all - rather, it's smokey - so if you don't want it spicy, don't use picante/salsa that's too spicy for you.
This salad had such a nice flavor. Wish I would of had hot picante sauce but I only had medium. Would of liked it spicier. But it was delicious anyways. Served it over a bed of Romaine lettuce leaves. I did cut this recipe down to serve just the 2 of us. I had cooked the shrimp in some chicken broth to give them a little extra flavor. I usually do this when I use cooked shrimps in salads. This salad made for a great lunch, very light and refreshing. Thanks for sharing Julesong.
*This is the best!* I would love to take this to a potluck since it's so unique and flavorful. It is quite spicy but balanced with the cold shrimp and bites of sweet papaya. I used Pace Salsa Verde which added some green color, and only needed half a papaya since we get the very large ones here. Love that this is not only tasty but healthy too!
It was not the best but it was good