Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
I was looking for something different for breakfast. This was really good, and I've frozen the leftovers to take to work with me.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to directions (I used Mean Chef's recipe # 53520).
- Cook sausage in a skillet until no longer pink.
- Combine sausage, rice, salsa, sourcream and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spread in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Using a small cup, make 6 deep indentions in the rice mixture. Break one egg into each indention and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 8-10 minutes more or until eggs are just set in center.
Good basic idea. Excellent flavor. I would serve with warm tortillas - and maybe even retried beans. A spoonful of diced Ortegas might add something also. My biggest concern was putting the raw eggs on top. Problematic for whites to cook evenly especially at a low temp like 350. I used 400 and pierced/ stirred the whites lightly with a toothpick after the first 15 minutes and again at 20 minutes. Removed at 25 min so yokes would still be partially liquid.