Recipe by Christy Luster
I was looking for something different for breakfast. This was really good, and I've frozen the leftovers to take to work with me.
Top Review by Dimarshll
Good basic idea. Excellent flavor. I would serve with warm tortillas - and maybe even retried beans. A spoonful of diced Ortegas might add something also. My biggest concern was putting the raw eggs on top. Problematic for whites to cook evenly especially at a low temp like 350. I used 400 and pierced/ stirred the whites lightly with a toothpick after the first 15 minutes and again at 20 minutes. Removed at 25 min so yokes would still be partially liquid.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 lb ground sausage (I used Jimmy Dean Hot)
- 3⁄4 cup salsa, thick and chunky
- 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook rice according to directions (I used Mean Chef's recipe # 53520).
- Cook sausage in a skillet until no longer pink.
- Combine sausage, rice, salsa, sourcream and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spread in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Using a small cup, make 6 deep indentions in the rice mixture. Break one egg into each indention and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 8-10 minutes more or until eggs are just set in center.