Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From "Saveur" magazine
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, fronds removed and reserved
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Remove tough outer leaves from the fennel bulbs; halve bulbs lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2 inch wedges.
- Combine fennel, milk, and 2 tablespoon butter in a 4 quart saucepan; cook over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until just tender, about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon and transfer fennel to a 2 quart baking dish; pour 1 cup of the milk mixture over; add fennel seeds and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, dot with remaining butter, and bake until golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Garnish with reserved fennel fronds.