Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Grana Padano can be substituted with Parmesan if you want. From "La Cucina" magazine.
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed but leaving the root end intact
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 ounces grana padano (1/2 cup) or 1 1⁄2 ounces parmesan cheese, coarsely grated (1/2 cup)
- fresh parsley, grated for garnish
- Cut fennel bulb lengthwise into eighths; arrange in a wide pot with a lid.
- Add butter, shallot, parsley, and salt; cover, and cook over medium low heat until tender, turning occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the fennel with grated cheese and continue cooking, covered, until the cheese melts, about 2 or 3 minutes more.
- Garnish with additional parsley, and serve warm.