Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A nice side for Christmas (or Thanksgiving).
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 large turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat a 2 quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine carrot and turnip chunks in a large pot. Pour in enough water to cover them. Add salt.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes until the carrots and turnip are tender. Drain and allow to cool for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Return them to the pot and mash them.
- Add butter, salt, flour and 1/4 cup sugar. Mix well.
- Combine eggs and milk in a bowl and whisk well.
- Add the milk mixture to the carrot mixture. Blend well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the mixture in the casserole.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top starts to turn golden brown.
- Serve hot.