Recipe by Julesong
I love soup! :) I also collect Finnish recipes, and this is one of my adopted recipes. It looks like a dish my family and I would enjoy, so I hope to make it and edit it in the future.
Top Review by suzzayne
I use all milk in this recipe (milk soup) also use red potatoes, and fresh corn off the cob. Other than this it is a summer delight that i've grown up with in Upper Michigan and continue any place i move when i find all the fresh ingrediants. And there has never been any leftovers and great with Finnish bread.
- 2 cups water
- 6 small potatoes, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 6 small green onions, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 12 young fresh baby carrots, 1/2 lb
- 1⁄2 lb young fresh green bean, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups tiny peas, fresh shelled
- 2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water to boiling in a wide 5-quart pan; add potatoes.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, butter, onions, carrots, and green beans; simmer for 8 more minutes.
- Add peas and cook for another 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- In a small bowl, stir together half and half and flour until smooth; stir into simmering vegetables.
- Cook, stirring until soup slightly thickened (about 5 minutes)
- May be served with open faced sandwiches of cream cheese on rye, decorated with sliced vegetables.