1/1 Photo of Finnish Salmon Pasties Lohipasteijat
Not just for company, these flaky pasties are often served after sauna with a glass of milk, lemonade, or a mug of beer. This dough is very easy to work with. They make perfect appetizers for a party, as you can assemble them ahead, refrigerate or freeze them, and bake them just before serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 -6 tablespoons ice water
- 1FOR THE PASTIES: Mix the flour with the baking powder in a bowl. Blend in the butter, using an electric mixer or a fork, until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 2Mix together the egg, lemon juice, and ice water. Sprinkle mixture over the dry ingredients and mix quickly to make a dough. Press into a ball and chill 30 minutes.
- 3Roll dough out to make a rectangle about 20 inches square. Fold into thirds. Roll again as thin as possible and fold into thirds in the opposite direction from the first folding. Chill again for 30 to 60 minutes.
- 4TO PREPARE FILLING, in a small bowl, with a fork, stir the rice with the salmon and eggs. Blend in the cream, dill, and salt and white pepper to taste.
- 5Preheat oven to 400°F
- 6Roll out the pastry to 1/8 to 1/4 inch thickness.
- 7With a round cutter, cut out 3 to 4-inch circles. Put a teaspoonfull of filling in the center of each circle. Moisten the edges and fold into half circles, sealing the edges.
- 8Place on a parchment covered or an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
- 9These may be made ahead and frozen unbaked. To bake after freezing, place on cookie sheet directly from freezer and bake. Baking time may be 2 minutes longer when frozen.
- 10The Great Scandinavian Baking Book -- Beatrice Ojakangas.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finnish Salmon Pasties Lohipasteijat
Serving Size: 1 (1091 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 76.8
- Calories from Fat 42
- Total Fat 4.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 23.8 mg
- Sodium 61.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 2.0 g