Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
I'm posting this for ZWT3. I've not made it but it seems a nice preparation of rutabagas or swedes as some of you call them. This is from Florence Schwartz's "Vegetable Cooking of all Nations".
- Place the diced rutabagas in a saucepan and cover with water and 1/2 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until rutabagas are soft, about 20 minutes.
- Drain and mash the rutabagas.
- Meanwhile, soak the bread crumbs in the cream.
- To the cream add the nutmeg, 1 teaspoon salt and beaten eggs.
- Combine the cream mixture with the mashed rutabagas.
- Butter a 2-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Turn the rutabagas into the casserole and dot with the butter.
- Bake at 350F for 1 hour or until lightly browned on top.
Delicious! I love this recipe even though I don't care for rutabagas. It takes the strong flavor away from the rutabagas. Nice nutmeg flavor and great texture. Super easy to make.