Recipe by Acerast
Pretty and delicious cookies that I like to make for special occasions such as teas, showers and Christmas. The original recipe is from Sunset's "Cookies" - I've just tweaked it a bit.
Top Review by olyoopsiedaisy
I have made many of these cookies for wedding receptions, teas and Christmas. Always a favorite and one of the most requested cookies I make. I have used many types of jams besides the apricot. One of my favorites is lemon curd, just delicious! These are elegant, yet very simple to make.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour (I prefer unbleached)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons raspberry jam (or more depending on your taste) or 6 tablespoons apricot jam (or more depending on your taste)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 tablespoon water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup granulated sugar until creamy.
- Beat in egg yolk, vanilla, and lemon peel.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, blending thoroughly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or leave ungreased).
- Shape dough into two logs about 1-inch in diameter and as long as your baking sheets.
- With the side of your little finger, press a long trench - lengthwise - down the center of each log. DO NOT press all the way down to the cookie sheet or your jam will leak out.
- Bake logs for 10 minutes.
- Remove logs from oven and spoon jam into the trenches.
- Return to oven for 5 - 10 minutes or until logs are firm to touch and a light golden brown.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar and lemon juice.
- While cookies are hot, drizzle them with the confectioner's sugar mixture (or spread along the sides of the logs).
- Cut at a 45 degree angle into 1 inch lengths.
- Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet.
- Transfer to racks and let cool completely.
- Store in single layers in an airtight container.