Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
One of my favorite Christmas treats, and very popular with the Finnish community with coffee. I know,you're thinking prunes..ewww...but they are very good. (the bake time does not include the overnight dough chill time).
- 709.77-828.06 ml flour
- 236.59 ml butter
- 4.92 ml salt
- 226.79 g carton cottage cheese or 226.79 g carton cream cheese
- 59.14 ml milk, to soften
- 453.59 g dried pitted prunes
- 709.77 ml water
- 118.29 ml sugar (more or less to taste if you want a sugar-free version - use 1/4 cup of fructose)
- Blend dough ingredients with pastry blender.
- Add milk to soften as needed.
- Should make into 4 small or 2 large balls.
- Cover and chill dough overnight.
- Cook the prunes in water until soft.
- Press prunes through wire strainer or pureed in blender.
- Add the sugar and mix well.
- Roll out dough into large square in order to cut into 3 inch square Place a mound of filling in the center.
- Split each corner from the top to within 1/2 inch of the center.
- Fold one half of each corner to the center-- to form a star or pinwheel.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet- you may sprinkle croase grain sugar over tart.
- Let stand 10 minutes before baking.
- Bake in hot oven 400*F for 7 to 10 minutes- until light golden brown (they should be realitively pale).
- Remove and cool on rack.
These are absolutely wonderful! We live in Illinois now but my Finnish family has roots in the UP Michigan and we travel there every summer. We always buy these from Tony's Kitchen in Laurium but now I can make them at home. The verdict from even the most staunch Tony's Kitchen customers in my family is that these are marvelous! I creamed cottage cheese in the blender first before adding to the dough.
Yum, yum, yum! My grandma used to make these but could not translate the recipe and these are very similar to hers. Thank you!!
I followed this recipe and this was the first time I made my own dough too. They turned out great! Some use ricotta instead of cottage cheese but I went with cottage, it was little clumpy in a dough but rolled out nice and baked even. I will make these again, everyone loved them!!!