Recipe by Montana Heart Song
The recipe calls for heavy cream, I use evaporated milk instead.Served hot or cold. Each slice can be wrapped in pie crust pastry,loaded with onions,tomatoes, sour cream and baked again. Recipe follows.
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 cut minced onion
- 4 slices rye bread, broken in small pieces
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground ham (no salt is used because of the ham)
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1⁄2 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pie crust, pastry round
- 1 slice tomatoes
- 1 slice onion
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 teaspoon cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- In frying pan add margarine, mushroom, onion and bread. Fry until onion, mushrooms and bread are slightly browned.
- In large bowl, mix meats together, add vegetables,bread pieces, parsley and 3/4 cup cheese. Mix together.
- Add evaporated milk and pepper and mix.
- Place in loaf pan.
- Add remaining cheese on top.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Bake one hour. Makes 8 large slices.
- For: Pies.
- Roll out pie crust pastry for each slice.
- Place slice or half slice on one half of pastry.
- Add tomato, then onion, then sour cream.
- Fold over. Seal edges with the tines of a fork.
- Make as many pies as desired.
- In a cup, beat egg and water.
- Brush egg wash over the pastries.
- Preheat oven 425*.
- Bake until golden brown about 20 minutes.
- This is a basic satisfying taste recipe, no heart stopping spice, or zesty tomato or zingy hot pepper. You will taste the cheese and that is the idea. My personal addition is to add 1/2 tsp creamy horseradish sauce before I seal the edges of the pastry but it is not called for in the recipe.