1 hr 20 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
The recipe calls for heavy cream, I use evaporated milk instead.Served hot or cold. Each slice can be wrapped in pie crust pastry,loaded with onions,tomatoes, sour cream and baked again. Recipe follows.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1/2 cut minced onion
- 4 slices rye bread, broken in small pieces
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 lb ground ham (no salt is used because of the ham)
- 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons dried cilantro
- 1 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1In frying pan add margarine, mushroom, onion and bread. Fry until onion, mushrooms and bread are slightly browned.
- 2In large bowl, mix meats together, add vegetables,bread pieces, parsley and 3/4 cup cheese. Mix together.
- 3Add evaporated milk and pepper and mix.
- 4Place in loaf pan.
- 5Add remaining cheese on top.
- 6Preheat oven 350*.
- 7Bake one hour. Makes 8 large slices.
- 8For: Pies.
- 9Roll out pie crust pastry for each slice.
- 10Place slice or half slice on one half of pastry.
- 11Add tomato, then onion, then sour cream.
- 12Fold over. Seal edges with the tines of a fork.
- 13Make as many pies as desired.
- 14In a cup, beat egg and water.
- 15Brush egg wash over the pastries.
- 16Preheat oven 425*.
- 17Bake until golden brown about 20 minutes.
- 18This is a basic satisfying taste recipe, no heart stopping spice, or zesty tomato or zingy hot pepper. You will taste the cheese and that is the idea. My personal addition is to add 1/2 tsp creamy horseradish sauce before I seal the edges of the pastry but it is not called for in the recipe.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finnish Meatloaf/Finnish Meat Pies
Serving Size: 1 (220 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 551.5
- Calories from Fat 338
- Total Fat 37.5 g
- Saturated Fat 13.4 g
- Cholesterol 126.4 mg
- Sodium 666.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 30.4 g