Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from scandinaviafood.com. It's very family friendly.
- 2 cups cooked macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef (or combination of ground meat)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil (for frying)
- Heat oil in skillet and brown the ground beef with the chopped onion.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease or spray oil in an oven proof casserole dish. Add the cooked macaroni and meat/onion mixture.
- Whisk together milk and eggs; add the nutmeg and about half of the cheese. Pour this mixture over the macaroni and meat in the casserole. Top with the remaining cheese and bake in the preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and the casserole is heated throughout.
- Serve with ketchup.
very easy dont cook the pasta all the way , if you dont like soft pasta zaar 6 tour hiya pan nan long time no see
I love this casserole. This is classic Finnish school food. When I went to school there you could expect this once a week at school and if not there, probably at home. I don't use cheddar cheese in mine. I save the cheese for the top and usually use e a mix of breadcrumbs and Parmesan for a little bit of a crusty top. But most important, this is mean to be eaten with Ketchup!!!! Whether you squeeze it all over or just have some on the plate for dipping, ketchup is essential. Think of this as the Finnish version of hamburger helper:)
Unfortunately we did not care for this. I thought it would be similar to what I make in a hurry (mac n' cheese w/ground beef) but the milk/egg mixture was more like a soft-set custard rather than a cream sauce. Made for ZWT6 Scandinavia.