Recipe by Julesong
Absolutely delicious! It's what I make when I want creamy cabbage rolls, but is much easier to make. Good for potlucks! Adapted from a recipe from "The Finnish Cookbook" by Beatrice A. Ojakangas.
Top Review by laurenbelmonti
The recipe says shredded cabbage but the picture shows more of a dice. I would recommend a dice. The shredded was too pulpy. A dice would have a nicer texture. The flavors were great. I served it with some egg noodles.
- 1 small cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup minced onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup or 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- white pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground marjoram
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large pot, simmer the cabbage in boiling water to cover until tender-crisp, about 5 to 7 minutes; drain.
- Remove from heat and add the onion, butter, syrup, salt, white pepper, marjoram, allspice, and nutmeg and stir well to combine.
- In another bowl, mix together the ground beef, bread crumbs, milk, and eggs.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Place a layer of the cabbage mixture into the dish, then a layer or meat mixture; repeat until mixtures are used up, ending with the cabbage.
- Sprinkle with the Parmesan then bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour.
- Let sit for 5 minutes before serving, then serve alongside lingonberries, cranberry sauce, or currant jelly.
- Note: this is also good with 3/4 lb ground beef and 1/4 lb ground pork; you can also mix in about 1/2 cup of tomato-based pasta sauce into the cabbage mixture, if you're wanting tomato.