Recipe by Sharon123
Finland--the country of thousands of lakes, endless forests, long winters and light summer nights, lies between Sweden and Russia. Every Thursday is pea soup day nationwide. You can use golden split peas or green split peas, it tastes good either way. I put together this soup from several different recipes.
- 12 cups vegetable stock (can use part water)
- 3 cups yellow split peas (you can use green split peas if you like)
- 2 onions, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 2 parsnips, chopped (or turnips or carrots)
- 3 potatoes, diced
- 4 stalks celery, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme (1 tsp. fresh)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- fresh ground black pepper (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vegetable stock,split peas,salt, and bay leaf in large pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minute
- Mince the onions and garlic, chop the carrots, potatoes and celery.
- Saute the veggies in 1 tablespoon olive oil about 5 minutes, then add to the pot.
- Simmer an additional 40-50 minutes, until peas are very soft and almost disintegrating.
- Purée the soup in a blender or food processor until it is quite smooth or you can leave partially chunky, according to your taste. The soup will be thick and yummy.
- Add the mustard, allspice, thyme, cumin and pepper and reheat gently. Adjust seasonings to taste.