Recipe by threeovens
A traditional soup as made in Finland. Use any fish you like, such as halibut, flounder, or cod.
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup rice
- dried herbs (such as a mix of marjoram, parsley, savory)
- 1⁄2 cup garden peas (fresh or frozen)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 7 ounces fish fillets, cut into neat strips (any sea fish)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup water
- generous pinch salt
- generous pinch paprika
- generous pinch garlic salt
- fresh parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat water, rice, dried mixed herbs, peas and salt and pepper to taste to a boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes before adding fish.
- Meanwhile, combine tomato paste, corn starch and water; add to soup and season with salt, paprika, and garlic salt.
- Let simmer an additional 15 minutes; garnish with fresh parsley.