Recipe by stormylee
A lovely moist cake traditionally served at Christmas time.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
WHAT A WONDERFUL CAKE! Definitely something I want to make again during the winter holidays! I did chop the dates before including them & also used the light cream! Decided to let it age slightly, so wrapped it & set it aside for a week before serving it with a topping of homemade cranberry sauce! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
- 130 g packaged dates
- 200 ml water
- 150 g butter
- 125 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 50 ml light cream or 50 ml whole milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 150°C.
- Grease and flour a loaf pan.
- Place dates, water and butter in a saucepan, bring to boil and simmer for about 20 minutes (I like to break down the dates a bit for smoother jam). Let cool.
- Pour date mixture into a mixing bowl, add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, mix well.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar. Add flour mixture and cream alternately to the mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for about 75 minutes.