Top Review by Mymble
Found this recipe looking for a simple cake that uses cottage cheese. And this was it, but it was much more elegant than I expected! Fragrant, moist, unusual. The spices did not overwhelm the cake, which was nice, and the lemon and orange flavors did come through too. Being lazy, I didn't bother sieving the cottage cheese (it was pretty small curds to start with). Next time I think I would even skip the bread crumbs; I was out of them and used cookie crumbs instead but it didn't seem like that added too much anyhow. We served it with chocolate ice cream this time because that's what we had, but I think it would be fantastic with vanilla ice cream, or on its own as a coffee cake. Thanks for posting!
- 2 tablespoons butter (Use Sweet Cream Butter In this recipe.)
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs, Dry
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup unbleached flour, Sifted
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 1 teaspoon cardamom, Ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, Ground
- 1 teaspoon orange rind, Grated
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, Grated
- 1⁄2 cup butter, Melted (Use Sweet Cream Butter In this recipe.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter the baking dish, pie pan, or springform pan until generously coated.
- Sprinkle the crumbs as needed into the pan, then turn the pan around and shake gently, distributing the crumbs along the sides as well.
- The crumbs should completely coat the inside of the pan.
- Chill briefly to set the crumbs and then fill with the desired filling.
- CAKE: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- Press the cottage cheese through a sieve.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and the sugar until they are frothy.
- Add the spices and fruit rinds.
- Add the cottage cheese and blend all the ingredients well.
- Stir in the butter, then add the dry mixture, mixing well.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared crust and bake for 1 hour.
- NOTE: Again this is more like a quick bread, and you can increase the sugar if you like as this is not particularly sweet.