1/7 Photos of Finnish Cinnamon Rolls (Korvapuustit)
Recipe posted in response to a request, and edited once the poster finally conquered her fear of yeast. Finnish korvapuustit are not turned on their side but sit on their bottom - hence step 12! You can of course turn them on their sides too, and call them "kierrepullat" in Finnish instead! Please note that the amount of gluten in flour varies, so use the amount listed here only as a guideline - while it's perfect for me, you might find you need more or less!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 25 g yeast
- 75 g butter or 75 g margarine
- 300 ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50 ml sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 750 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten for brushing
- 1Crumble yeast into a bowl.
- 2Melt butter, add milk and gently heat the mixture to 37°C.
- 3Pour over yeast and mix until yeast has dissolved.
- 4Add salt, sugar, cardamom and stir; add about 200 ml of the flour and stir.
- 5Add the rest of the flour and knead dough by hand until smooth and elastic, and it no longer sticks to the bowl (this shouldn't take long) nor to your hand (which takes a bit longer).
- 6Sprinkle some flour on top and cover: let rise for 30 minutes.
- 7Mix the filling ingredients together.
- 8Lightly flour the baking board and turn the dough on it.
- 9Roll dough out to a 40 x 60 cm square.
- 10Spread the filling on the dough and roll it up tightly, starting from the longer side of the square.
- 11Cut the roll in 3-4 cm pieces.
- 12"Open" the pieces by pressing the centre of each piece with a handle of a knife so that the centre is pressed down and the sides spread.
- 13Place rolls on a parchmented baking sheet, cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- 14Brush the rolls with beaten egg.
- 15Bake at 225 C for about 10 minutes.
- 16Cover the rolls while cooling.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finnish Cinnamon Rolls (Korvapuustit)
Serving Size: 1 (939 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 150.2
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 31.3 mg
- Sodium 119.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 3.3 g