Krsi Sue's Note:
Beets are used a lot in Russian and Finnish cooking. This has a sweet and sour flavor that is very enjoyable. For a little crunch, garnish with cooked, crumbled bacon. If you don't have fresh beets, you may use store boughten canned beets, whole or chunked. I wouldn't recommend the sliced beets, as they crumble too easily.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut off beet tops, leaving about 2" left in place.
- 2Heat water and salt to boiling and add beets.
- 3Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to medium.
- 4Cover and cook about 45 minutes.
- 5Remove hot beets and plunge into a sink full of icy cold water.
- 6Slip off the beet skins and root end.
- 7Cut beets into 1/4" chunks.
- 8In medium saucepan, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
- 9Stir orange juice in gradually, while whisking to combine the cornstarch mix.
- 10Cook slowly, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and boiling.
- 11Stir in beets and heat until hot.
- 12Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finnish Beet Salad
Serving Size: 1 (474 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 67.0
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 929.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 12.2 g
- Protein 1.3 g