Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Beets are used a lot in Russian and Finnish cooking. This has a sweet and sour flavor that is very enjoyable. For a little crunch, garnish with cooked, crumbled bacon. If you don't have fresh beets, you may use store boughten canned beets, whole or chunked. I wouldn't recommend the sliced beets, as they crumble too easily.
- Cut off beet tops, leaving about 2" left in place.
- Heat water and salt to boiling and add beets.
- Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook about 45 minutes.
- Remove hot beets and plunge into a sink full of icy cold water.
- Slip off the beet skins and root end.
- Cut beets into 1/4" chunks.
- In medium saucepan, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
- Stir orange juice in gradually, while whisking to combine the cornstarch mix.
- Cook slowly, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and boiling.
- Stir in beets and heat until hot.
- Serve immediately.