Recipe by Krsi Sue
Beets are used a lot in Russian and Finnish cooking. This has a sweet and sour flavor that is very enjoyable. For a little crunch, garnish with cooked, crumbled bacon. If you don't have fresh beets, you may use store boughten canned beets, whole or chunked. I wouldn't recommend the sliced beets, as they crumble too easily.
Top Review by Montana Heart Song
This is delicious.I don't have to cook the beets since I have canned ones.Sometimes I serve individually will a dollop of sour cream on top and sometimes crumbled bacon.
- 5 medium beets
- 6 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 3⁄4 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off beet tops, leaving about 2" left in place.
- Heat water and salt to boiling and add beets.
- Bring back to a boil, reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook about 45 minutes.
- Remove hot beets and plunge into a sink full of icy cold water.
- Slip off the beet skins and root end.
- Cut beets into 1/4" chunks.
- In medium saucepan, mix brown sugar, cornstarch, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
- Stir orange juice in gradually, while whisking to combine the cornstarch mix.
- Cook slowly, stirring constantly until mixture is thick and boiling.
- Stir in beets and heat until hot.
- Serve immediately.