Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is from "Best of Finnish Cooking", which holds the author's Finnish recipes for her sons, so that they can always have these dishes. I haven't tried this yet. The only other recipe that uses allspice and heavy cream had cumin in it, which isn't Finnish at all. This dish is often served with browned rutabagas and boiled potatoes. Simmering the ragout can be done on the stovetop or inside the oven. The great thing about round steak is that it is a cheaper piece of meat. However, a long, slow, low-heat simmer is necessary to make it tender. Don't try to rush with higher heat.
- 2 lbs round steaks (bottom or top, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 celery rib, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 -3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons flour (preferably granulated, like Wondra)
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
- Brown beef cubes on all sides, a few at a time, in the mixture of butter and oil. Don't try to do all at once. It will lower the temperature too much and not be able to brown properly. When done, transfer into a casserole or dutch oven.
- Lightly brown the onions and vegetables in the same skillet; then put them in the casserole. Rinse the skillet with the 2 cups of water and add it to the casserole. Add salt and spices. Cover and let cook over low heat or in a 325 oven for 2 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Mix flour with the 1/3 cup cold water and stir into the casserole along with the cream. Simmer 5 minutes. Add salt to taste.
This is really good and oh so easy -- I used the oven method, however it is more like a soup than a stew, but not to worry my family gobbled this up. I used regular flour and served it just with bread and butter. Thanks for sharing!