- 1 lb mushroom, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, fine, dry
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the breadcrumbs with 1 tbsp butter and toast until golden brown, stirring often to prevent burning.
- To the sliced mushrooms add the lemon juice, onion, butter, salt, and pepper. Saute until onions tender.
- Heat the cream to just short of the boiling point.
- Stir the flour into the mushrooms, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping.
- Stir in a bit of the cream.
- Stir in each egg yolk separately.
- Stir in the remaining cream.
- Cook, covered, until the sauce is just short of boiling.
- Sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: The thicker the cream the better the dish tastes. Half and half is better than milk and whipping cream is best of all.