Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is good to accompany fish or meat. Easy to make. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
Make and share this Finnish Baked Mushrooms recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons onions, finely minced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 pinch salt and pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, fine, dry
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Mix the breadcrumbs with 1 tbsp butter and toast until golden brown, stirring often to prevent burning.
- To the sliced mushrooms add the lemon juice, onion, butter, salt, and pepper. Saute until onions tender.
- Heat the cream to just short of the boiling point.
- Stir the flour into the mushrooms, stirring rapidly to prevent lumping.
- Stir in a bit of the cream.
- Stir in each egg yolk separately.
- Stir in the remaining cream.
- Cook, covered, until the sauce is just short of boiling.
- Sprinkle with the toasted bread crumbs and let sit 5 minutes before serving.
- Note: The thicker the cream the better the dish tastes. Half and half is better than milk and whipping cream is best of all.
This recipe requires constant attention from start to finish. . I think from the picture shown, it should be turned into a casserole dish & baked.
Amis said “The thicker the cream the better the dish tastes”, so when I made these, I remained totally faithful to that part of the recipe and I threw out all efforts to keep the recipe lower in fat. When in Finland, do as the Finns do! These mushrooms were SO deliciously creamy: the sort of dish mushroom lovers dream about. And I will make them again – occasionally – perhaps when the rest of the meal is really low fat! Well I’ll actually, I’ll work some low-fat dishes around this dish! Then occasionally can come around a little more often! I also added three cloves of garlic – couldn’t resist – and ½ tablespoon of brandy, which I had added to the cream.
Rich and Richer! So creamy good! I added the 3 large egg yolks to the cool 1 cup cream and only 1 tablespoon flour wisked then microwaved it for 2 minutes. Whisked and mixed into the mushroom mixture into it placed it in a oven safe dish topping with bread crumbs and baking for 5-10 minutes.