Recipe by dawnie2u
This was our traditional Christmas Eve dinner. I loved it, my sister, not so much. It is very rich, but very delicious. My mom would serve it over smashed boiled potatoes.
Top Review by hollyberrie
I don't like Finnan Haddie usually but I liked this and the family LOVED it. I did add an onion and didn't have smoked haddock, so I doubled the recipe, and added a tsp of liquid smoke. Very tasty.
- 1 lb finnan haddie
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the smoked fish in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and drain.
- Remove the skin and bones and flake the fish.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan, stir in the flour, and cook gently 2 minutes, continuing to stir.
- Off heat, add the milk, then return to the heat and stir constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, reduce heat and simmer, stirring often, for about 12-15 minutes.
- Combine the flaked fish with the sauce, and warm through. Serve over boiled potatoes.