1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 35 mins
Montana Heart Song's Note:
At every celebration there was always a round loaf or two of this bread. My Finnish "Aunt Bertha" and then Aili always provided this sustaining wonder. It is very filling and makes wonderful toast!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/4 ounces fleischmann's fast rising yeast
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar or 1 1/2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute
- 6 cups warm water
- 1 cup cracked wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup warm milk
- 1Make yeast mixture in a large glass bowl.
- 2The sugar will "proof" the yeast. It will bubble. Stir a few times to make sure it is all dissolved.
- 3In a very large bowl, mix the batter mixture and add the yeast mixture to it.
- 4Stir and mix well.
- 5To make the dough add flour 1 cup at a time and mix inches The dough should be stiff and not stick to your hands. Note: This may take more flour than is stated. Depends on where you live and your altitude. Make sure the dough is stiff.
- 6Rub 1 tbsp margarine inside a large bowl; place dough in bowl, cover with a moist warm cloth and let rise until double. It takes about 1 hour. Do not put in a draft or cold kitchen.
- 7Punch down and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- 8Spray Pam into round cake pans. This makes 6 round loafs. Cut the dough into 6 equal portions. Form round loafs with your hands.
- 9Place in the cake pans. Prick with a fork across the top of the dough about 4 times.
- 10Let set 15 to 20 minutes.
- 11Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 12Bake about 35 minutes. Until the round loaves are light brown and tops are firm.
- 13Option: You may brush the tops of the loaves with an egg wash which is one beaten egg and 1 tsp water after the bread has cooked for about 25 minutes.
- 14When cool, this bread can be double wrapped and frozen.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finn Bread in Honor of Bertha Maki & Aili Nevala
Serving Size: 1 (58 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 48
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.4
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.1 mg
- Sodium 54.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 2.8 g