Recipe by Manami
This recipe is one of Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) newer recipes(Copyright 2006). I watched her make it last night and I can't wait to try it. It looks so good!
Top Review by Ms B.
This was a great starter for a dinner of recipe #173918, recipe #12757, and Asiago Garlic Bread. I tend to never use measuring spoons (except for baking) and think that I got a little too much lemon juice in the aioli, but the tartness was a good contrast to the other rich elements of the meal. I will add this recipe to my list for entertaining. So great that it can be prepped ahead of time so that I can enjoy my guests.
- 1133.98 g fingerling potatoes, unpeeled
- kosher salt
FOR THE AIOLI
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed
- 29.58 ml champagne vinegar or 29.58 ml white wine vinegar
- 6 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 2.46 ml grated lemon zest
- 44.37 ml fresh lemon juice
- 2.46 ml saffron thread
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 354.88 ml olive oil
- chives, chopped
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the potatoes and put them in a large saucepan and cover with salted(1 tablespoon) water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until they are just tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and place a kitchen towel on top, allowing them to steam for 5-10 minutes.
- For the aioli, tear the slice of bread into pieces and place in a bowl and pour the vinegar over the bread and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Place the garlic cloves, egg yolks, zest, juice, saffron, crushed red pepper flakes(if using), 1-1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade; add the bread and puree into a paste.
- With processor running slowly pour the oil through the feed tube until it is the consistency of thick sour cream. Place in a serving bowl.
- Slice potatoes in half and place them on a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and decorate with chopped chives and serve with aioli.