1/1 Photo of Finger Licking Leek Soup With Sausage and Barley
1 hr 10 mins
I love leeks. I was searching for a leek soup and all I could find were leek and potato cream soups. So I improvised and was amazed by the results. The sausage gives it a ton of flavor and the texture of the barley is wonderful. You will love it if you are a fan of the Italian wedding soups.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Chop the onion and sauté in the vegetable oil until tender (about 2-3 min).
- 2Meanwhile wash well and cut the leeks into small rounds. Discard the very rough tips of the green part.
- 3Thinly chop the garlic.
- 4Add the leeks and garlic to the onions and cook for 10 more min or until soft.
- 5In a separate pan brown the Italian sausage breaking it into small pieces.
- 6Add the sausage to the leek mixture and cook for 2 more min, stirring to combine the flavors.
- 7Add 1 quart of water to the pot and when it starts boiling add the stock cubes.
- 8Add the barley and cook according to the package instructions. Usually takes 45 minutes.
- 9At the end of the cooking you can sprinkle 1-2 tbsp of grated parmesan cheese. Season with salt if necessary.
- 10The soup thickens on its own because of the starch in the barley. But If you like your soups thicker you can use 1tbsp of cornstarch dissolved in 2 tbsp of COLD water and add it at the end of the cooking. Slowly stir for 2 minutes.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finger Licking Leek Soup With Sausage and Barley
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 448.8
- Calories from Fat 234
- Total Fat 26.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 43.1 mg
- Sodium 930.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 19.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: