Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
I got this recipe from a friend and these prawns are to die for! Serve with rice, pasta, or bread to sop up all the delicious sauce which can be doubled if you want.I like to use prawns in the shell because I think they add extra flavour to the sauce. It is a bit messy to shell the prawns as you eat, but it gives you an excuse for licking the sauce off your fingers! You could use shelled deveined prawns or shrimp as well.
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 0.5 (5 1/2 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 lbs prawns
- Saute onions in a small amount of oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant.
- Add the rest of the ingredients except the prawns.
- Bring to a boil.
- Turn down the heat and add the prawns.
- Simmer until the prawns turn pink and are cooked through.
Ok.. I mis-read the coconut milk amount so my prawns were swimmimg in sauce.. but like anyone cared? nope, they were too busy going fishing in the dish for these lovely yummies... There were many compliments and requests to "have this again please" at future buffets. Sounds like 5 stars to me :) Sorry that the photo isn't better, I usually take them in the kitchen but forgot and the crowd in the queue behind me made unhappy murmers when I wanted to remove the dish to photograph.. and were impatient to get into it so I took photos in a hurry at the table. These are easy to make, super tasty and very popular in our extended family. Please see my rating system, the masses give you a very well deserved 5 stars !