Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe was passed along to me from an old friend whose brother owned a restaurant. He made this sauce in vast quantities and it was a huge hit among his many patrons. It is my all time favorite! This makes a large batch but It stores very well in the fridge.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 8 ounces molasses
- 32 ounces Heinz ketchup (Heinz is the best)
- Saute onion and spices in oil until onion is soft.
- Add vinegar, liquid smoke, molasses and cook and blend these ingredients for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then add the Heinz ketchup and mix well.
- Cook on low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Cool and store in the refrigerator.