Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Something I cound not find anywhere! Its an Australian bun and they are so yummy. Cut in half, spread butter or marg and enjoy!
- 450 g plain bread flour
- 5 ml salt
- 7 1⁄2 ml yeast
- 50 g butter
- 300 ml milk
- 30 ml caster sugar
For the Icing
- 275 g icing sugar
- 3 -5 drops edible food coloring (pink, yellow, etc)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Grease a small baking tray.
- In a large bowl add flour and salt, then sprinkle over the easy blend yeast.
- In a saucepan, heat butter, milk and sugar together until the butter has melted and the milk is just warm.
- Stir milk mixture into the flour and beat well until smooth.
- Knead onto a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes.
- Then place in an oiled bowl covered with oiled cling film and leave to prove for 1 hour or double in size.
- Turn out dough and divide into 12-14 pieces.
- Knead into long even finger shapes and leave to prove for 20 minutes in a warm place or until well risen and puffy.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until well risen and golden brown.
- Make up the thick icing and coat the tops of the fingers in pretty colours.
Wow. I'm pregnant and craving finger buns and these are perfect. I also added some sultanas and the icing i added a little margarine to soften it, mixed in and topped with coconut. Ofcourse they had to be cut in half and spread with Margarine. PERFECT!!!! I was suprised but happy to find this recipe on this site.
I grew up in New Zealand, and had forgotton about these. They are so delicious, especially with raisins and coconut sprinkled on top of the icing. I have lived in Canada for 31 years but still yearn sometimes for the good food from my childhood. Thanks so much for posting this recipe.
Wow, I can not beleive I found this here, I grew up in New Zealand and had this at least once a week. I added raisins to mine and coconut on the topping because that's how we had it in NZ. Thanks for posting, GREAT RECIPE!!! Miss Pixie